The Baralaba township is situated approximately 150km west of Rockhampton on the banks of the Dawson River within the Banana Shire. The township, with a population of approximately 480 people, has had a long association with mining after seams of coal were discovered in 1901.
The Baralaba Coal Mine is located approximately 5km north of the township of Baralaba. Baralaba Coal Company transports product from the minesite utilising the road network for coal haulage to the new Train Load Out Facility approximately 2km east of Moura. Moura is situated approximately 60km south of Baralaba.
Baralaba Coal Company recognises that sustainable exploration and development underpins everything we do. We are proud to be a part of the communities in which we operate. Community engagement and consultation is a cornerstone of Baralaba Coal Company’s business to ensure the company and community can maximise the synergies between them.
We are committed to engaging with the community through ongoing consultation. Community consultation is a two-way communication process which aims to give the local community opportunities to contribute to decisions which affect them. Baralaba Coal Company’s intention is to have a process to facilitate sharing of ideas and concerns, in a mutually respectful way.
The community has a range of experiences and views which are valued by Baralaba Coal Company. Acknowledging that community has a right to have informed input into the project will improve the relationship between the project team and the community.
Underpinning our commitment to effective engagement is mutual respect.
Baralaba Coal Company is committed to:
- Honest and straightforward dealings with our communities and stakeholders.
- Providing accurate and timely information to our communities and stakeholders.
- Actively listening and acknowledging other points of view.
- Respecting individual and cultural differences at all times.
Baralaba Coal Company will engage with the community and stakeholders:
- Where community and stakeholder input can improve a project or enhance decision making.
- To provide opportunities for feedback and acknowledging other points of view.
- To help identify community needs.
- When required by law or by agreement with a government agency or statutory body.
Being a part of the communities in which we operate is a key focus area for the company. Baralaba Coal Company continues to maintain relationships with communities by providing ongoing information and consultation. One such avenue is the continuation of the Baralaba Community Advisory Group which was established in 2014.